Components of the Conservation Centre
- The Protected Orchard (El Fruiterar de Salvaguarda)
This comprises different local varieties of fruit trees. The initiative was launched in 1990, and is based on:
* Collecting the varieties whic are closest to extinction and which therefore require urgent action to guarantee their continuity.
* Choosing the varieties wich might be of major interest with regard to future commercialisation.
To date, 167 trees of 83 varieties have been collected, which correspond to 9 different species (apple trees, pear trees, plum trees, cherry trees, medlar trees, peach trees, apricot trees, quince trees and persimmon trees.
- The Orchard for the Demonstration of Ancient and Classical Varieties
This comprises a variety of fruit trees which in some cases are still of interest to fruit-growing in general, and particularly in environmental terms. The aim is to get to know and adapt these varieties to environmental conditions in la Garrotxa
At the moment there are 103 specimens of 54 varietites of apple-, plum-, pear-, peach-, cherry- and apricot trees.
- Traditional Herbaceous Plant Growing
Several traditional types of plants are currently in decline, namely:
* Buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum), crow´sfeet and quaking grass varieties.
* Maize (Zea mays), the land caltrops and white varieties.
* Common beans (Phaseolus vulgaris), the high and low bush tabella brisa varieties.
* Potato (Solanum tuberosum), mora variety.
You may visit the CCPC if you telephone the persona in charge of the Parc Natural de la Zona Volcànica de la Garrotxa (see phone number above).
There is information on biological agriculture, the preservation of traditional varieties and biodiversity in the Documentation Centre of the Parc Natural de la Zona Volcànica de la Garrotxa.