Situated in the heart of London, this ´Secret Garden´ is a centre of education, beauty and relaxation. Chelsea Physic Garden was founded by the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries of London in 1673 for its apprentices to study the medicinal qualities of plants. Throughout the 1700s it was one of the most important centres of botany and plant exchange in the world. It is London’s oldest botanic garden and a unique living museum.
The Chelsea Physic Garden was founded in order to promote the study of botany in relation to medicine, then known as the "physic" or healing arts. As the second oldest botanic garden in England it still fulfills the traditional functions of scientific research and plant conservation and undertakes to educate and inform as well as to provide the amenity of a walled "secret" garden in the heart of London. Its aims are:
* to demonstrate through its plantings and publications the range of species named or introduced to cultivation by a succession of distinguished curators;
* to pursue horticultural excellence, especially in the cultivation of rare and tender plants;
* to demonstrate to all who visit the many uses of plants and particularly the heritage of the plant world as our common medicine chest.
1st April - 31st October
* Tuesdays - Fridays 11-6pm
* Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays 11-6pm
£9.90 for adults and senior citizens
£6.60 for students*, unemployed people* and children (5-15 years old)
Our Cafe serves refreshments, including light lunches and teas from 11 on Tuesdays - Fridays, Sundays and Bank Holidays. It is open until 10pm on Wednesdays in July and August when dinner will be served.